8.13.2008

The Tropic Thunder Post

Tropic Thunder is funnier than you expect it to be. Not only is it the funniest movie I’ve seen in a long time, but it completely revives my faith that celebrities have a sense of humor. It’s so refreshing to see big-name actors commit to something that’s just plain funny without dipping too far into stupid. That’s not to say that there aren’t stupid moments in the film, but the ratio of hilarious to ridiculous is positive*.

TP is a riot from the first commercial right down to the credits, which for the record are too hilarious to even attempt to describe. I don’t want to ruin anything about the film because the laughs are largely dependent in the way they pop up. All I can’t help myself saying is; evil guerilla baby vs. bridge. I literally almost died in the theater from laughing. So many lines are crossed, but they are crossed in all the right ways. Odds are something in this movie will offend you (or the mentally challenged, minority drug addict sitting next to you) but I guarantee you will be laughing a lot more than you’ll be frowning. Take the film for what it is and you can’t be disappointed. This is the best comedy I’ve seen all year.

For all the hype that was placed on Downy Jr.’s portrayal of the ‘dude playing the dude that thinks he’s another dude’ I have to say I was under whelmed with what he did with the gimmick. Funny, yes. Show stealer, no. It’s fine though as the movie as a whole works perfectly in keeping the audience rolling. After seeing this movie and enjoying it as much as I did, I almost feel the need to go back and lower the other summer comedies at least one star, because they really do pale in comparison to this one. ‘Thunder pulls out all the stops, has many of the same actors seen previously this summer, and keeps the funny up unlike anything else on the market right now.

*mathematical.

No comments: