4.15.2008

The Juno Post

I tend not to do reviews of films I don’t catch in theaters. Personally I don’t think the experience is the same sitting on the couch* so it’s hard to make a 10 point scale that’s fair across the board. That being said my anger fueled rant after Netflix-ing Revolver last week forced me to break my ‘blogular morals. So to be fair I figured I’d post a favorable review next time something delightful blessed the Blu-Ray player. That something delightful arrived today in Juno.

Charming isn’t a word that accurately describes films to often, but in Juno’s case I find it very fitting. The film oozes charm in a quirky and adorable way, largely in part to it’s leading lady (Ellen Page) and her on-screen baby-daddy Bleeker (‘George’ Michael Cera). Both characters are absolute gold and portrayed with such charm (there it is again) and charisma that you can’t help but connect with them. Another real strength of the film lays with its supporting cast. Juno’s father and mother (namely the father) steal the show in their scenes, and Jason Bateman and Jennifer Garner do a great job too. The plot is great, the quotes are hilarious and the characters are all…charming. There was a lot of hype on this film come award-time last year, which further aggravated the fact that I didn’t get a chance to catch it in theaters. Sufficed to say the critics where right in praising this film, though I think the “this film is this year’s Little Miss Sunshine” is unjust because I personally found Juno to be far more compelling and entertaining in every way.

There are a lot of obnoxious band/director/album plugs from all the ‘hip’ characters in the film, which seems to be a tad too common in the more indy-focused releases these days (cultured people just can’t keep it to themselves apparently. (I wouldn’t know) But that aside there really is nothing wrong with the film. I watched all the deleted and extended scenes and honestly feel robbed that they didn’t include them all, especially the Danny Trejo scene.

All in all I loved it. I would give it a 9.5 but I don’t feel like chopping a star in half for my little image, so a solid ‘9’ it is. A well rounded and delightful movie and a definite pick-up next time you are in Best Buy. Don’t forget your reward zone card. You get points for every purchase you make! This review brought to you by Best Buy.com

*I am currently funding advanced scientific research that will prove that sticky floors are the key to film enjoyment.

No comments: