7.20.2007

The Book 7 Post

Tonight is a big night for fans of children’s books because tonight at midnight the decade long tale of Harry Potter comes to a close with the release of JK Rowling’s; Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. It’s just crazy to see the fervor this book is cooking up. I mean yeah I’m stoked to see how it all comes to an end, but there have been robberies and violent attacks already; armored cars carry the books to the back of certain book shops; and leaked copies are going on eBay for very steep prices. I have had my issue on reserve at the local Barnes and Noble for a few weeks now and I’ve listened to the last two books on mp3 to refresh my memory as to the resent plot details. At 12:01 tonight the first copy of the new Potter book goes on sale….To ME. That’s right. I am going to be one of the first to get my hands on the book and I have the wrist band to prove it. I Stopped by on my way to work today to see if they were doing the wristband-hold-a-spot-in-line program as they have done for big releases in the past (and get me some Starbucks) and sure enough they were, and bam, I got number one. There are 700 copies on reserve at this particular bookshop alone. I don’t care too much about getting the book fast. After all I have the reading ability of a gerbil and wont finish it for a week, but I do love jumping on hype trains and getting to stroll in at 11:55 and march to the front of a line of 700 people is going to pretty cool. Especially when half of them will probably be in full costume. I am also not apposed to selling my band to one of the 600-700 bracket while I’m there if they make it worth my while (and give me a wizard hat).

Updated July 22nd: So that’s it. The end, no more adventures for Harry and his friends. I have to say I had my doubts when the book sort of hit a rut a little before halfway through, and the dismissal of the basic ‘potter format’ followed in previous years. Though the ending is decisively brilliant and offers everything the fans have been expecting from this series. I look forward to reading them to my kids down the road.

No comments: